Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Litter is Coming Out Of Hibernation in Kawartha Lakes




Aaah winter. So pretty. It covers up all of the garbage.





Unfortunately, now that the snow is melting away, all of that litter is re emerging. There just seems to be so much of it this time of year.

I got so sick of it one spring a few years ago that I did what the average engaged citizen would do. I complained. I wrote a letter to express my distaste over the amount of trash that was trashing up my neighbourhood.

And you know what that accomplished?

Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Hmmph! Well, I never!



What I did next might shock you (reader discretion advised)



I cleaned it up myself!


Yup, garbage all garbagy, neighbourhood all cleany.


The thing is, I cared enough about it that I wanted to change it. So I figured I might as well do it myself because complaining wasn't doing anything except littering people's ears with garbage talk.

At first I remember hiding my garbage bag when people drove by. What would they think of me picking up garbage?

But I realized I wouldn't think twice about picking up garbage on my lawn. And this community is our collective lawn.

Being a steward to our community and our environment is a good deed, and adds value to everyone's lives.

So if the trash is bugging you, grab a bag and be proud to be a steward. You could even host a community clean up.

Did you know you can adopt your road, and the city will help you with supplies and landfill fee's? Check out your local service centre for details, or right here. You even get a fancy sign!




My daughter found 5 bucks picking up litter one day!  Stewardship pays!


"Be the change you want to see"-Mahatma Gandhi


As printed in the Kawartha Promoter as my column "It' Easy Being Green."


Thanks for reading my blog/column.
Julia Taylor
Like my blog on Facebook here
or never miss a post by following me on twitter here

The sign I made for our clean up in 2015.

The litter collected at the 2015 clean up.




No comments:

Post a Comment