|Blow dried curly, brushed out, and then curled with wand|
I have not shampoo'd my hair in a 5 months and it looks beautiful. In the years since I switched to natural/organic body care I have searched for the best shampoo and conditioner for my hair, never realizing that the packaging of these products effects the health of the environment and in turn my health- so I set out to reduce my packaging waste and the 'no poo' method fit in perfectly (and did not require me to start up a shampoo lab in my house.)
Frequently asked questions...
Do you need exlax?
No, not that kind of poo,
Does it stink?
No, actually the baking soda has a nice fresh smell.
How did you do it?
I started washing my hair with baking soda and apple cider vinegar every other day. 1/4 cup of baking soda to a 1 cup of water. 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of water.
How long did it take before worked?
Solidly- 2 months. The transition period is a bit painful but once you get used to it (if it works for you) it has great results. I had to mess around with the solution a bit to get it right.
|Washed and blown out straight, touched with straitner|
Is you hair greasy?
When it gets greasy it needs to be washed.
- Your hair literally feels like grease all the way to the tips when it is wet- it is a very different washing and brushing experience and it completely transforms the texture of your hair.
- You will have to get used to the way it holds different styles.
- Your brush is pretty much disgusting, washing it doesn't help.
- Have you ever pet a dog and have a dirty hand after, that is almost what happens when you brush dry hair daily.
- It is not sudsy washing so you just have to put the mixture in and smush it around.
Pro's (in my experience)
- No split ends..
- Looks amazing.
- Does eventually get soft.
- Holds styles very well.
- Eventually you only need to wash it once a week.
- Saves money not having to buy products. (ps I still use hair spray if I need to- just leave it in there after)
- Saves the lakes (no toxic by products from shampoos going down the drain)
- Did I say it looks amazing??
This is not for the faint of heart and does not work for everybody. It is something you have to see through and it is a big change to adjust to. If you commit to this process and it works for your hair type you will love it.
|washed and air dried|
Tips and tricks
- Use apple cider vinegar every other wash (my hairdresser warned me it could dry out my hair, also she want grossed out or put off by me doing this- she had heard of it)
- Brush your hair everyday
- Make sure you ad warm water or add the water in the shower when you mix your solution- or you could be cold shocked!
- When you tell people don't just tell them you have "no poo for 6 weeks" like I did- give them some pre context or you will get some funny looks
Thanks for reading my blog! I would love to hear your experiences with 'no poo'!
|Washed, air dried, hot rollers- on day 2|